Thursday, January 18, 2007

Jackson Hole Mac & Cheese

Last night I completed my formal review to determine who has the best Mac & Cheese in the Teton area. This was an ad-hoc survey after our waiter at the Rendezvous Bistro claimed that their Mac & Cheese is #1.

And the results:

1. Knotty Pine
2. Q
3. Bistro

I am sorry to say that I don't agree with our waiter. The Knotty mixes in onions into the mac and cheese which is unusual for a restaurant. The Mac & Cheese was rich and creamy throughout and it has a crispy top and served in a small deep bowl.

The M&C at the Q is similar, but it does not have onions. I have had this as a side on 3 occasions and the oil always separates in the dish and diners are required to mix the small bowl with a fork to evenly distribute the cheese and oil. Perhaps this occurs because all of the M&C is baked in advance?

Finally, the Bistro. I was unimpressed with the M&C for a number of reasons. First, it was ziti not Macaroni. I have no problems with ziti, but it should be called ziti and cheese. The dish was dry and our friends who joined us were also not impressed. The M&C was served in a shallow bowl and it was not "thick and creamy".

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Have you tried the mac & cheese at Sidewinders? I think it also might actually be ziti & cheese, but it's pretty good. Good along the lines of traditional mac and cheese, but with real melted cheese.

Just be prepared to order off the kids menu... and the server may even laugh at you.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home