Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Skiing in Jackson is back

After a long dry and warm spell the Tetons received 20-30 inches of snow during the past 5 days. Loyal readers may have noticed that the number of my posts describing epic ski runs has dropped to zero, especially after mid-January.

I motivated myself for my 2nd trip of the year up the 2000 ft bootpack on Mt. Glory. I can't believe that it's mid-Feb and I have only hiked Glory twice. I guess that speaks to the snow conditions for the past month. I skied 1st turn today (a west facing ridge of Glory) and enjoyed knee-boot deep powder turns down the entire run. It was 2000 feet of 30 degree bliss. The snow was less dense then what I expected and I only felt the crust underneath on about 8 turns.

The past 1 month in Jackson has been very cold and dry which helped to preserve good ski conditions until the big thaw that occurred last week. We don't have much snow down low and many low elevation South faces have bare spots. In the past 1 week we lost about 1 foot of snow in our yard.

The recent 20 inches has turned around the upper mountain and I am hopeful that we will receive more this week. Either way, Teton Pass skied well today and I heard that Teton Village was great yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home