Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How did you work from Argentina


Travel Set
Originally uploaded by krughb
A number of people have inquired into the logistics involved with working from Argentina. This picture shows my mobile office (starting on the left):

1. Corded telephone (these are hard to find – everything is now cordless)
2. Vonage box for phone calls and provides me with a US contact number
3. USB Headset for Skype (used as a backup for Vonage)
4. All in 1 power adaptor
5. Laptop
6. Assorted power cords and Cat 5 cables
7. Backcountry ski pack / mobile office pack

Vonage is a VOIP (internet based phone) service that requires an hard wire internet connection and a standard phone. When the small device is plugged in your phone will ring anywhere in the world. This allowed me to have a US number while traveling abroad. Skype is a phone system that runs on computers and was a good backup for Vonage. It allowed me to use the phone when I only had a WiFi connection. Skype also provides a US number for inbound calls. When a USB headset is used the call quality on Skype is crystal clear.

The most complex issue with the mobile office is juggling 1 power adaptor between a laptop and the Vonage box. I only brought 1 adaptor because I figured the probability of having 2 power connections and 1 internet connection within the length of my power cord was fairly low. I have a laptop battery that holds a charge for 4-5 hours limited the power issue from becoming a problem.

The mobile office worked great and a number of colleagues who I spoke with regularly never knew that I left the country. I am looking forward to my next mobile office excursion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home