Monday, December 10, 2007

Jackson Hole Fake Snow Report

I was planning on writing about the opening of the upper mountain at Teton Village, but after reading the snow report on Monday I decided to call out the emblishments. Everyone is aware of the fact that most mountains exaggerate the snow report. This ranges from forecasting Heavy Snow when the weather station calls for chance of flurries to outright deception of the current conditions. The case on Monday was closer to the latter at Jackson Hole.

Mountain Report - Monday
The snow on the upper mountain is just phenomenal! I took a run down Pepi's Ridge and found deep, bottomless, fluffy powder for most of the run. I also found untracked lines through Bird in Hand and Bivouac woods, and enough cushion to attempt a small rock drop. (Yes, I DID land it, thank you very much for not doubting me!) Even the groomed trails were super smooth, and I easily cruised back across the traverses when I wanted to return to the base. All in all, an excellent day! -AC

I agree, that on Saturday and Sunday the snow was phenomenal on the upper mountain, including Bivouac Woods. However, I skied Pepi's Ridge and Bird in Hand and both were horrid. Pepi's ridge needs another 3 feet of snow to cover the rocks/boulders. Every 3rd turn I hit a rock along with everyone else who skied the trail as evident by their tracks. Bird in Hand was even worse, rocks/boulders every turn. This run takes the skier through a feild of boulders and it needs about 5 feet of additional snow. Not to mention the sun crust that setup in this area due to the fact that it faces South. I hope these 2 runs were the wost of the year, because it does not get much worse. Don't fall for the hype.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home