Sunday, March 02, 2008

Ski Review - Almost

After a week or two of being sick and a lack of new powder snow I woke up on Sunday feeling well and found 12 inches of fresh reported at JH Mountain Resort. I decided this would be a great day to test the new K2 skis. On my first run I skied through a steep powder field and dropped into the skiers right chute in Toilet Bowl and walked out of my ski. After looking down at my binding I realized it was toast -- the heel piece was blown out.

At this point I am a few turns into a chute that I can not hike out of -- looking around I realized that I was hosed. I ended up pullilng up my heel cable up into the ski/walk mode notch in my boot. This enabled me to make Alpine turns to the bottom (2,500 feet in total). However, when I arrived at the bottom I quickly found out that I could not pull the cable out of the notch and I was stuck in my ski. After about 15 minuets of messing around with the binding I was able to disconnect the cable from the springs and I was free, but stuck without skis on a powder day. I called home and arraigned to swap out skis and finished out the day in style: powder runs, deep snow in the crags, and a PBR focused apre at the mooose.

During the 1 run I enjoyed the new skis - they busted through the windslab and drove hard through the steep powder shots. The initial feedback was great - bring on more snow for future testing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home