Thursday, September 15, 2005

Changing of the guard

I have decided to create a more progressive blog and shift my focus to important social, economic, political and scientific matters that effect our society. I refuse to let this become just another rambling blog.

My first entry deals with football. I think this topic will provide a smooth transition to the new format.

After the Seahawks loss, I am giving up football. The NFL has become a modern day pageant scripted to waste everyone's time. Watching football on TV is comparable to watching reality TV or the WWF. Last Monday night was the last straw...How many times can I bear to see a close-up of Patrick Kearney violently shaking his head like he has just ran out of the Amazon after being shot by a blow gun in the inner thigh. I dread the production that has overtaken the sport.

On the flip side, I don't understand why everyone chugs beer, sits slumped on a couch and watches a bunch of crazy TV induced people running around. Over the past few years players have started to act very strange in front of the camera. What happened to "Hi Mom"? Now viewers receive a throat slashing death enticing chant from players.

In the long run, the players get the short end of the stick. A number of scientific studies are investigating the rumor of a shorter life span (54 years) associated with NFL players. Hats off to UNC group for conducting this study. This link provides further information about when most players end up on the injured reserves - after they retire - a very interesting angle.

My response to opening weekend of the NFL was to move our TV back into storage. I encourage my committed readers to do the same. I forgot to mention P. Kearney tutored my wife in calculus at UVA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home