Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Veggie Kayaking

Last weekend I kayaked with a friend who has a car which runs on a combination of biodiesel and vegetable oil. The car has two separate systems and the fuel source can be changed on the fly. The biodiesel is used for the initial portion of the journey while the engine warms the veggie oil to the correct temperature and viscosity. I was amazed that the car did not loose any performance when switching between fuels. It's too bad that this technology is not widely available and is still on the "cutting edge".

This was my first experience in a car that was not running on fossil fuels. I hope that I have the opportunity to ride in more cars which do not use traditional gasoline fuel. Who knows, if a plug in hybrid hits the market soon I might splurge.

On a side note, I would recommend the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car" to others interested finding alternative transportation methods.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home